Monday, November 16, 2009

P4EXP Windows Explorer Integration - Problem Solved

There were lots of issues  and i was struggling to use p4exp which come in bundle with p4v setup. i Couldn't configure it properly for a long time. I searched the net couldn't find the answer. Sometimes i used to get "no workspace has been set for this connection" or unable to connect, connection failure messages, even though your p4v is working properly.

The root cause was , whatever you configure in p4v is not available for p4exp. You need to configure this manually using p4v set.

I did the following :
Open command prompt and set the following values.
c:\>p4 set P4CLIENT=<WorkSpaceName>
c:\>p4 set P4PORT=<PerfoceServerip:PortNo>
c:\>p4 set P4USER=<PerforceUserName>
Example:
c:\>p4 set P4CLIENT=vijayk_workspace
c:\>p4 set P4PORT=172.19.86.15:1999
c:\>p4 set P4USER=vijayk

You can also have p4config file.

Basically i got some help from this link:
http://maillist.perforce.com/pipermail/perforce-user/2009-September/025941.html

8 comments:

Frosty said...

Thanks !!!!!!

Michael Chen said...

Thanks! In my case, when I right "Connect Information" from the right-click menu, I see a line saying:
"Client name: xxxxxx
Client unknown"

That was the clue. It defaulted to my XP laptop name, but I used a different client name in Perforce. I just needed to type the following in the command line, and now I am seeing the full menu set:
"p4 set P4CLIENT=<actual client name"

Jaap said...

Great, finaly I got this working right, thanks!

What did the trick for me was setting the P4CLIENT var to the WORKSPACE name, not to the CLIENT name.

(the name of the 'variable' could have been more speaking, like P4WORKSPACE for example?)

P.s. after getting the connection configured right, I had to 'turn off'+OK/'turn on'+OK the 'show file state icons' checkbox through right click/preferences on one of the folders within my workspace before the state icons would show up right in explorer.

RKC said...

Thanks !!

Anonymous said...

Thanks it works great, this was a struggle

Jason said...

So what do you do if you frequently switch between different workspaces?

Unknown said...

I love you!

Unknown said...

Thanks. This is so unintuitive that Perforce should make it clear. I shouldn't have to find it on some blog. Thanks for posting it.